Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

No public posts in this group. You must register or login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saint David

Sunday:  10:00 am

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saturday Vigil:  5:00 pm

Sunday:  7:30 am, 9:00 am, 10:30 am, 12:00 noon, 7:00 pm

Weekdays:  M-F 6:30 am, 8:00 am, Sat. 10:00 am

Confessions:

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Tuesday:  7:00 pm - 7:45 pm

Saturday:  11:00 am - 11:45 am

Javascript is required to view this map.

Church Buildings: Saint Elizabeth of Hungary:

1 Grove Pl
Pittsburgh, PA 15236


Church Buildings: Saint David:

Springdale Dr
Pittsburgh, PA 15236


Administrative Center:

1 Grove Pl
Pittsburgh, PA 15236
Phone: 412-882-8744
Fax: 412-882-8320

School: Saint Elizabeth:

1 Grove Pl, Ste 5
Pittsburgh, PA 15236
Phone: 412-881-2958
Fax: 412-882-0111

Day Care Center: Saint Elizabeth:

5222 Campbell Dr
Pittsburgh, PA 15236
Phone: 412-884-1011


Clergy:

Rev. Dale E. DeNinno, Pastor
Deacon Joseph Compomizzi
Deacon Kenneth W. Marlovits, Transitional Deacon

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

13401

Open Date:

1941

Ethnicity:

Slovak

Neighborhoods Served:

Pleasant Hills
Willock

Parish History

St. Elizabeth was established in 1941.  The origin of the parish can be traced to the movement of population to Pleasant Hills in the late 1930's.  Catholics in Pleasant Hills had to travel to the small church of St. David in Willock to attend Mass.  As the population in Pleasant Hills continued to grow, it soon caused overcrowding in St. David.  Rather than building a larger church in Willock, the pastor of St. David proposed to the bishop in 1941 that a church be built in Pleasant Hills.  The bishop agreed and chose the name St. Elizabeth for the new parish (Elizabeth was chosen because it was the name of the pastor's mother).  Land for the new church was purchased in 1941 and on May 24, 1942, ground was broken for a school that would contain a temporary church in the basement.  The building was completed in December of 1942 and the first Mass in the new church was celebrated on Christmas Day.

Before the church was built, St. Elizabeth was a mission of St. David.  Once the church was built, the two churches reversed status with St. David becoming a mission of St. Elizabeth.  In September of 1943, the school opened with three classrooms.  In 1944, three more classrooms were added and in 1948, an additional six classrooms were added to the building.

In 1951, work began on a new church.  The finished building was dedicated on November 16, 1952.  The space in the school building that had been used as the church was converted to class space.  In 1973, the status of St. David was changed from a mission to a Chapel of Convenience.  Both churches remain open and continue to serve the parish today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

School building that served as the first St. Elizabeth Church, 1943
St. Elizabeth Church, 2002
Interior of St. Elizabeth Church, 2002
St. David Chapel, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Elizabeth of Humgary Parish Map.pdf137.27 KB