Saint Francis of Assisi, Finleyville

No public posts in this group. You must register or login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil

6:00 pm

Sunday

8:00 am

11:00 am

Weekdays

M-Sat. 8:30 am

Holy Days

HV 7:00 pm

H 8:30 am

7:00 pm

Confessions:

Saturday

12:30 pm - 1:00 pm

Daily

9:00 am

Javascript is required to view this map.

Administrative Center:

3609 Washington Avenue
Finleyville, PA 15332
Phone: 724-348-7145
Fax: 724-348-7522

Religious Education:

3609 Washington Avenue
Finleyville, PA 15332
Phone: 724-348-6190


Clergy:

Rev. Robert J. Boyle, Administrator
Deacon Victor P. Satter

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

14601

Open Date:

1893

Neighborhoods Served:

Finleyville

Parish History

St. Francis was founded in 1893.  In that year a mission church was established by the pastor of St. Michael, Elizabeth in the nearby town of Gastonville.  The new mission was visited once a month for Mass.  In 1903, responsibility for St. Francis was transferred to Holy Angels, Hays.  In July 1904, St. Francis became an independent parish with the arrival of the first resident pastor.

The new pastor determined that the growing congregation needed a larger church.  Property was acquired in Finleyville for the new church.  The cornerstone of the church was laid on May 15, 1907, and the completed church was dedicated on November 3, 1907.  Although the church has been renovated several times over the years, it continued to serve the congregation for many decades.  However, by 1972 the congregation had outgrown its church.  In that year the parish moved their weekend Masses from the church into the newly built all purpose Finley Hall.  They continued to use the church for weekday Masses and for services that tended to attract relatively few people, such as baptisms, weddings and funerals.

This situation continued for over 35 years.  Finally, on August 9, 2009, the parish broke ground for a new 700 seat church.  Work progressed rapidly and the new church was dedicated on May 16, 2010.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Francis, 1932
Interior of St. Francis, 1932
St. Francis, 2002
Interior of St. Francis, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Francis of Assisi Parish Map.pdf171.43 KB