Saint Justin

No public posts in this group. You must register or login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil

4:00 pm

Sunday

8:30 am

11:00 am (Signed Mass for deaf and hearing impaired)

Weekdays

M-F 9:00 am

Confessions:

Saturday

3:15 pm - 3:45 pm

Javascript is required to view this map.

Administrative Center:

539 Boggs Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15211
Phone: 412-381-9878/412-381-9825
Fax: 412-381-0371

Religious Education:

539 Boggs Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15211
Phone: 412-381-3774


Clergy:

Rev. Walter G. Rydzon

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

29501

Open Date:

1917

Close Date:

2013

Neighborhoods Served:

Mount Washington

Parish History

St. Justin was established on October 28, 1917.  The first Mass of the new parish was celebrated on November 11, 1917, in the Lincoln Theater.  The parish used the theater for Sunday services until they built a church.  Work on the church was begun in 1918 and the one story church was dedicated in August of 1918.

In 1925, two stories were added to the church building to house the parish's grade and high schools.  As the years went by, the school population continued to grow.  In 1944 the parish purchased a public school building which they used as the grade school.  The original classrooms above the church were then used exclusively for the high school.

In the 1950's the parish began raising funds for a new church.  On April 28, 1957, ground for the church was broken and on July 10, 1958, the completed church was dedicated.  The original church was then converted into a social hall.  In 1974, the high school, still in the original building, closed.  In 1987, the building was remodeled into housing for the elderly.  On September 7, 1988, the original church/school building was dedicated as the Just Inn Transition.  The church built in 1958 continues to serve the congregation today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

The original St. Justin church/school building, 1940
St. Justin Church, 2002
Interior of St. Justin, 2002

File Attachments: