Saint Leocadia, Wilmerding
This parish is presently located at:
St. Leocadia was established on June 24, 1915, as a Polish parish. The parish was an outgrowth of the rise of Polish immigration in the area. The first Mass of the new parish was celebrated on June 27, 1915, in the East Pittsburgh National Bank hall. The parish used these facilities until November 14. In the meantime, the congregation purchased a building and converted it into a temporary church. This temporary church was dedicated on November 21, 1915, and served the congregation until June 12, 1919.
During this time, work began on a combined church and school building. The cornerstone of the new church was laid on December 29, 1918, and the completed basement church/school was dedicated on July 20, 1919. In the 1920's, two stories were added to the building to be used as classrooms, a library and rectory. The addition was dedicated on May 1, 1928. The building was renovated in the 1950's and again in the 1970's. The bell tower was added to the building in 1983.
However, as the population in the area continued to drop during the last half of the century, it soon became obvious that Wilmerding could no longer support two independent parishes. In 1994, St. Leocadia merged with St. Aloysius to form the new St. Jude the Apostle parish. Initially, the new parish kept both churches open, but with the understanding that within a year the parish would determine if it was feasible to keep both churches open. The parish studied the issue and decided that they only needed one church building. On September 8, 1995, St. Leocadia Church was closed.