Saint Teresa of Avila

No public posts in this group. You must register or login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Saint Teresa of Avila

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil

4:15 pm

6:00 pm

Sunday

8:00 am

10:00 am

12:00 noon

Weekdays

M/W/F 7:00 am

9:00 am

T/Th 7:00 am

Sat. 9:00 am

Holy Days

HV 7:00 pm

H 7:00 am

9:00 am

12:00 noon

Confessions:

Saturday

11:00 am

after 4:15 pm Mass

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

800 Avila Ct
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
Phone: 412-367-9001 x548

Administrative Center:

1000 Avila Ct
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
Phone: 412-367-9001
Fax: 412-366-8415

School: Saint Teresa of Avila :

800 Avila Ct
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
Phone: 412-367-9001 x530
Fax: 412-364-1172

Convent: Saint Teresa of Avila:

900 Avila Ct
Pittsburgh , PA 15237
Phone: 412-367-9001 x544


Clergy:

Rev. Robert J. Vular
Deacon Jack Miller
Deacon David R. Witter

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

55201

Open Date:

1867

Neighborhoods Served:

Perrysville

Parish History

St. Teresa was founded in 1867.  It was founded to meet the needs of the Catholics in the growing community of Perrysville.  Before 1864, the Catholics of Perrysville had to travel to Wexford or Allegheny City (now Pittsburgh's North Side) to attend Mass.  In 1864, Mass was celebrated in a local home by a priest from Wexford.  In 1864, land was purchased for a church and the cornerstone of the church was laid on July 4, 1866.  On October 6, 1867, the church was dedicated

With occasional remodeling and renovations, this church served the community for over 60 years.  Due to the growth of the congregation, the parish decided in the 1930's that a larger church was needed.  On May 20, 1934, ground was broken for the new church and the completed building was dedicated on May 17, 1935.

With the move of population from the city of Pittsburgh to the suburbs after World War II, the congregation grew enormously.  Despite having three other parishes created from St. Teresa, the congregation was so large that the parish had to hold Masses in the school gym as well as the church.  On October 9, 1982, ground was broken for a new church large enough to accommodate the congregation.  This church was dedicated on December 18, 1983.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

First St. Teresa church, circa 1925
Second St. Teresa church, 1967
Third St. Teresa church, 1983

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Teresa of Avila Parish Map.pdf138.41 KB