Saint Vitus

No public posts in this group. You must register or login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil

6:30 pm

Sunday

7:00 am

9:00 am

11:30 am

Weekdays

M/W/F 8:00 am

Confessions:

Saturday

11:30 am-12:30 pm; 5:00-5:30 pm

Javascript is required to view this map.

Administrative Center:

910 S Mercer St
New Castle, PA 16101
Phone: 724-652-3422
Fax: 724-652-2322

School: Saint Vitus :

915 Jefferson St
New Castle, PA 16101
Phone: 724-654-9297
Fax: 724-654-9364

Religious Education:

915 S Jefferson St
New Castle, PA 16101
Phone: 724-654-9371


Clergy:

Rev. Frank D. Almade, PhD, Pastor
Rev. William P. Siple, STL, Parochial Vicar
Rev. Nicholas S. Vaskov, Parochial Vicar

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

58501

Open Date:

1900

Ethnicity:

Italian

Neighborhoods Served:

New Castle

Parish History

St. Vitus was founded in 1900 as an Italian ethnic parish.  Its founding can be traced to the rise of an Italian immigrant community in the south side of New Castle.  By 1900, the Italian community had grown sufficiently to support a parish.  A committee raised the funds to buy a Methodist Church, which was remodeled and dedicated as St. Vitus Church on December 25, 1900.  It quickly became obvious that the church was not large enough to accommodate the congregation and on August 15, 1906, the cornerstone for a new church was laid.  The new church was dedicated on August 15, 1907. 

This church served the community for over 40 years.  However, by the late 1950's the congregation had outgrown the church.  On Thanksgiving Day, 1961, ground was broken for a new church.  The cornerstone was laid on December 17, 1962 and the completed building was dedicated on August 15, 1963.  This church still serves St. Vitus parish and its congregation.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Second St. Vitus Church, 1932
Interior second St. Vitus Church, 1932
St. Vitus Church, 2002

File Attachments: